Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Ah, Commuting!

No, that wasn't a sneeze. Sneezes are more fun. It's Southern California, after all, and while we do sometimes suffer from seasonal allergies, we feel the oppression of perpetual traffic. Driving down the I-5 today at a zippy 15 MPH, I spotted a pickup truck with a bumper sticker that looked like it had something on it about "Organic" something or another. When I was closer, I saw that it read, "Organize Unions." Hey, it was green, OK?

That was fine, and I am proud that the faculty where I work finally got a union just a year and a half ago (we were the last community college in California, of 103, to unionize). Unions, when they function properly, are fantastic entities. But that's not what struck me about this car. No, it was the man driving the car who caught my attention, his hand wrapped around a badly disguised Coors Light in a paper bag. As he pulled away at what may have been close to 30 MPH (he had a better lane suddenly), I read the other sticker below the cab window: "Oakland Raiders." Yay. Go, raider nation. Just don't drive that close to me again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home