Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The Static of Real Life

If only there were a way to be free of real life, we could all become great thinkers. "Sure," you say, "because we are all equal in our potential." No, it isn't that. Some would undoubtedly be greater than others. But Einstein credits his job as a patent clerk for giving him the freedom to think. Work stayed in the office and didn't require much of him, so when he was not at work, he could focus on his theories. We could all use at least one year of that, and I mean an uninterrupted year.

One of the great joys of teaching—probably the greatest, in fact—is seeing the results of instruction manifest in student work. Sadly, there is a darker side to this. Sometimes students turn in work that doesn't even address the assignment. Altogether too often, they turn in work that isn't their own. The frst two times I found plagiarism, I took it personally, but I have learned my lesson. Sadly, my sternest warnings go unheeded by someone each semester.

Somehow, no matter how I try, plagiarism enters my classroom every semester. While I no longer take it personally, it, to put it bluntly, pisses me off. There must be a cure, an innoculation. We can prevent all kinds of viruses and infections with injections of live attenuated viruses, or even dead ones in many cases. I want that kind of immunization for plagiarism. Let me know when you find it.

2 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To ask for a vaccine to immunize plagarism is to ask for a cure to all insecurities and free will. Maybe those that choose to plagarize fear, above all else, that they have NOTHING to offer the world than someone else's thoughts. Maybe they fear being completely rejected for their ideas, or rather lack thereof. Maybe they think they'll get away with it and become heros. Whatever the reason may be, they plagarize though their own free will and there is no cure for that, at least no reasonable one.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Andrew Purvis said...

It's true that I ask a lot. Sadly, there are three major categories of students who plagiarize: those who were trained (usually in a select group of countries) that academic work predominantly involves cut-n-paste work, those who feel they cannot complete an assignment within the timeframe or at the standards they feel are expected, and those who are high-achievers afraid of slipping near the end.

Yes, there are other reasons people plagiarize. Some people are lazy, though I am loath to characterize students that way. Some just feel privileged, deciding they have the right to buy their way through school.

My problem is not with the students. My problem is with the deliterious effect of plagiarism on the students. They watch grades slip away, and that can teach plagiarists a valuable lesson. Some get angry, though generally not at me. Others cry and plead their cases, though to no end. The best take the hit in the grade (I'm too nice, some say, in giving a 0 for an assignment for a first offense and flunking on the second, but they are early in their college careers when I get them) then stay to learn what was wrong, why it was wrong, and how they can avoid it in the future. That last group, thankfully the largest in my experience, gives me the greatest hope; it is made of the people I feel most deserve their educations, at least among those who plagiarize.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home