Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Monday, January 24, 2005

Biding time

I am sitting here on campus an hour and a half before my night class is to begin. No doubt my students will start gathering soon, praying that the instructor who occuppies the room before our class decides to let his students out early. I won't be joining in that vain hope, however.

My next couple weeks will be tied up in the effort to get full-time applications out the door. I've ppaid my dues for three years, and everywhere I look, that is the magic number: invitations to interviews should start coming in pretty regularly now. But it's not just that.

Sunshine and I have to look at geography. At least one of the jobs for which I will be applying is not within commuting range, and if I were to get it, we would have to spend a year spearated by over 1,500 miles. That would not be easy. Our combined income would be enough to make regular visits—by this I mean at least once each month—viable; however, it would still mean stress. Yes, for relatively little money, we could have real-time video conferencing capabilities, and that would alleviate some of the stress.

It's just one application among many. There are more than a half dozen opportunities already, and that is just one. When the hiring season kicks into full swing by mid-march, the number of postings will likely keep me filling out applications every week, and with rare exception those jobs will be in California (I am only look in Southern California, the Puget Sound region, and Massachessets for now). It's just one more thing to keep me from being able to look for that itch with quite the verve I would like. Career must be a priority. I hope my blog will keep me looking for the source of that nagging feeling, though.

1 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Blogger Scrivener said...

The academic job market does, indeed, suck royally. The fourth worst thing about this job is how incredibly difficult it is to find someone who will let you do it. The worst thing about the job is grading papers, of course. Grading's also the second worst thing about the job. And the third.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home