Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Ten to Start

OK, I have managed to winnow a lot of blogs that caught my eye down to just ten that I want to track. Why, you may well ask yourself, should you care about what I read? Why not? Anyway, here they are in the order to which I link them, which is not some ranking system, just the way I entered the addresses. As more catch my eye, this list could change.

Breaking News: I had my head shut in a sliding van door.
Khara doesn't update this as much as I would like, but she has fun with what she writes. The little quizzes and things that people fill out are fine and all, but a few random iPod shuffles here and there are more interesting to me. Also, she doesn't seem to take crap from anyone, and she lets people know it. On a side note, she got me using the "Next Blog" button, and that's how I got the rest of these.

Twelve Two Two Fondue
Amy and Bill, gourmands it would seem, take us through their comments on food and drink, menus and the restaurants those menus call home. There is humor here, and not the cheesy stuff I have seen on too many blogs. These two have wit, to use the correct term, and they serve it up pretty regularly.

signal20
Let's just give this woman credit for doing what too few people have the courage to do: looking in the mirror in both the real and metaphorical sense. She is working to better herself, lose weight, raise kids, and fight depression. No, this is not light reading, but light reading be damned when there's substance to be had.

Scrivenings
E. David Morgen, ABD in English (that's more than I have so far) and closing in on the PhD. I saw that he and I were in the same field, end of story. I have not been teaching long enough to see my students move on as far as his have, but I can only dream that they will say such things about me those many years from now. This blog is sound reading for educators and students alike, never mind what parents will find there.

fluffy as a cat
Who could turn down a title like that? We're talking fun and serious in one bundle. No, I don't think she has ever gone all out to blog with a straight face, but some of what she gives comes from harsh reality. If you want playful, give it a try. Raunchy? Look elsewhere. Fun? Fluffy. Boring? Government press releases. Got the picture? *Allow me to amend my earlier statement. Raunchy? Rarely, and mostly via links.

That's Life
I love how this blog started. There is something of a "primordial blogness," if you will, to its inception. This is not blow-you-away exciting stuff; this is real life. It's what blogging is about. It delivers on its name without pretense. Give it a spin and see what you think.

Philosophical Dialogues
OK, it will be some time before I am current with this blog. Juan Galis-Menendez is a commentator far above the average for blogs. Don't expect a quick read, and even when you hunker down for these (usually) longer posts, don't expect them to be easy. You can agree or disagree with this man, but you will have to give him points for a well-structured case. Oh, and don't look for the usual pseudo-political stuff here. This is not pot-boiler drivel. Expect real thinking.

Gloria
I do not speak Spanish, but that does not make a whit of difference. Gloria is giving us photography (stored elsewhere, of course) that has the feel of Robert Capa's work. Take a look for yourself and see why digital photography, despite its advances and convenience, is far from destroying halide photography.

The Department of Injustice
I will not say that I agree with all of the ideas presented on this page. I do not, nor am I likely to see future posts reflect only my positions. Is there any better reason to love a blog that deals with social and political issues? Why, yes there is! As with Philosophical Dialogues, this site has some cogent argumentation happening. Is it on the same level? I don't think so, but it's up there, and the issues are what people are more likely to expect in this kind of forum.

winter semester
I end with one that is hanging on by the barest of threads. There are only two posts so far, and the title suggests that before July this could be done. Still, what Emmalee has posted so far shows great promise. There is thought in what little she has, and she seems to have a grasp of, indeed a passion for, perspective. I don't mean this in the sense of looking at things from someone else's point of view; rather, and this comes through in the second post, something that could rapidly develop into literary cubism. Think I am pushing it? Maybe. Time will tell.

OK, this has been an entry both too long and too long in coming. I will call it a night pretty soon. When I return, I will get a little catching up done with these blogs and see where they lead me on my quest to scratch that silly itch of mine.

4 Comments:

At 7:26 AM, Blogger Chase Edwards Cooper said...

Many thanks for including my blog on your list. I've read yours and I enjoy it a great deal. I'd be the first to admit that not all my opinions would be embraced by everyone. That's okay with me, however, because I love to see reasonable and intelligent discussion. Such discussion usually comes from disagreements over particular matters and issues.

I suppose that in a way my blog is more an attempt to take major social and political issues and present them - including my arguments for or against them - in a way that might appeal to both academics and non-academics.

That's not to say that I don't like the more intellectual discussions on matters. In fact, I looked at Philosophical Dialogues, and realized that it was a blog which I'd be glad to have linked on mine.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Bill said...

Thanks for posting our site. We have been discovered! What's next? A Pulitzer? Film rights? Brad Pitt could play me but he'd have to put on 30 pounds. Amy says "hey", too.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Juan Galis-Menendez said...

Thank you for including "Philosophical Dialogues." I am flattered and grateful.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I only realised you had linked to my blog when you sent your post. Thanks ... and now I am dicovering, through your blog, all sorts of other interesting blogs.

Great that you teach English and that you love it. Your lucky students!

My blog just suddenly spilled out ... I had a hankering to write or I suppose I would not have started to blog, but when I met the Englishman ... well the floodgates opened.

I will link back to you ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home