Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Manual Hair Loss

No, I am not referring to the rash act, two weeks ago, of having my ponytail lopped off and discarded in the trash (I was asked if I wanted it in a baggie, but that would just have made me miss it the more). No, here I am referring to the attempt to focus on these pesky little financial possibilities. Let me say, from the outset, that it is rather a good thing to have financial possibilities. I made the (financial) mistake of falling in love with a calling that requires years of part-time service before full-time options are open to me. I have paid my minimum dues now. But that's not everything.

Yes, in the next month I will be sending out no shortage of job appplications to community college districts across the Southland (that's Southern California speak for "Southern California" or, more simply, "SoCal"). These alone are enough to get me pulling the odd strand from time to time, particularly when my wife believes that I can manage much of the housework (she works more hours), work, and magically apply for everything in sight. Lord, give me more electronic applications! My wrist hurts from writing longhand (and always the same darned things).

OK, that's managed, but then there is the other matter to which I alluded recently: my game. Frivolous, you say? Perhaps. No money in it? More than likely true. A waste of time? No. Unless I have missed something in my hunting through aisles of games over the last few decades, in everything from Wal*Mart (I no refuse to shop there) to little family-run game and toy stores, or in my past years' subscriptions to Games Magazine, there isn't anything out there like my game in any but the most general sense (capture pieces on a board). That suggests I have a decent chance of seeing production. Decent is a relative term in the world of board game publishing, but it might be in the double-digit percentage range, which is better than most designers ever realistically hope for. The trouble is getting it out there in front of the people who make decisions.

"Ah," you say, "just take it to Milton Bradley." Not such an easy proposition. Most game companies with any production and distribution power work through outside agents or in-house production teams to get new products. MB is no exception. Thankfully, I have found the people who will, for a modest fee (seriously, it is very small . . . and refundable) evaluate my game from a manufacturer's perspective.

You may be getting ready to post a comment warning me of the dangers of getting ripped off. Yes, I have considered that. I have checked the company out through the Better Business Bureau, validated claims of organizational affiliation, and generally done everything except drive up to their offices and interview them personally. I'm good with this. But now I am trying to reach a deadline for getting my materials to that company before doing so will stand in the way of my applying for jobs. GAH!

So now you see how this gets crazy. Oh, and since I haven't mentioned it yet, my deadline puts the game concept in the company's hands no later than Monday the 31st. Oh, that's six days from now and the postal service doesn't work on Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home