Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

We All Have Dreams

Here I have been focusing on these issues in my life, and now I find myself distracted by someone else's dream. One of the guys who works at the local store is the son of a man who used to work on the ground crew at an airport. In chats, he has told me about how he use to go up during evaluation flights. He's been in love with flying since then.

Now that he's married, his wife has encouraged him to pursue his dream of becoming a pilot, the dream he had given up when he thought he would not be able to afford it. Noow that he can afford it, now that he has someone backing him, he has taken the time to look into it. He was thrilled a couple days ago when he told me of his plans.

Today I dropped by for some sake and a few other items. When he finished bagging my items, he told me that he had given it up. Someone told him that it would just be too much trouble. Why? Well, after 17 years here, he'd be untangling a mess because, well, he's Syrian by birth. Land of the free? Yeah, right. And let's not even get into the American Dream.