Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Lou Reed, Eat Your Heart Out!

Apparently, I have been market by a couple people as a "totebagger." According to their blog, this means that what you see here is and "egregious display of middlebrow crappiness, often marked by perpetrator's particular self-satisfaction w/r/t said display." Now, don't get me wrong, I appreciate the link, but I was not even granted a write-up. I got merely a title and the linked text "Oh. My. Lord." from contributor Lillet Langtry. Now that's not quite fair is it? Can't I at least get something specific, or have we gone so far down the road to Guantanamo that specific charges need not be levelled anywhere?

Apparently, my dislike of many of the same things as the two who have created this blog is not enough, though perhaps I should waste space indicating that I can't abide Garrison Keillor, The Phantom of the Opera, and MENSA just to get in their good graces. No, I think I will turn to the first track on the CD I put together for my commute. It begins with Lou Reed's "New Sensations." Before you get on me about how Reed was in a low point in 1984, I know, but the song works for my driving style. Here are the relevant line:

It's easy enough to say
What is wrong,
But that's not what I want to hear
All night long.
Some people are like human tuenols.

Enter Lillet and Trey, blogging tuenols. It seems they have nothing better to do than complain about other people whom they have judged to be somehow less than qulified to blog. On the up side, I managed to make the it on there as their eighth post, so I must be doing something right. I only wish they had taken a moment to explain what exactly it was that managed to get their attention. Otherwise, how can I possibly repeat it?

7 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just looked at the site. These two are a pair of pitiful promoters who are trying to popularize their pet "meme" (ala jump the shark). They probably do not get much attention in their "real" (such as it may be) life.

Iacomus

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Lillet Langtry said...

Jewels,

Yes indeed -- I thought the link to the "Running on Empty" post was pretty totebaggy. That's all. M. Caveat sports a highly unreadable template which discouraged further investigation. So, sue me.

Gentle commenters: our blog cracks us up. We like it! Don't take everything so seriously! Self-seriousness = Totebaggery! Don't be a Lopate. And yours is the only blog we've mentioned -- so, we don't just blog about "people unqualified to blog" (your insinuation, not mine!)

My dissing your "Running on Entry" is HARDLY worth likening to Guantanemo, buddy. You teach English -- take a cue from Pope, who knew from some zeugma.

Oh, and where do people who comment on comments on blogs think get off insinuating Trey and I have no life outside the blogosphere? Perhaps we do, perhaps we don't, but when someone takes the time to post that someone blogging has no life -- well, that's kind of begging the question. ;)

Regards,

L.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Lillet Langtry said...

Also, sincere props to you for being an English teacher. That's not meant to be snarky. You're doing something really great -- don't take other people's comments to heart. I try not to.

Take care,

L.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Andrew Purvis said...

I generally don't respond to comments with comments, but I must point out the glaring flaws in Lillet's criticism. Let's start at the end.

"Begs the question" is not the same thing as "raises the question."

I can live with a critique of my template, but I would have appreciated something useful rather than a bald opinion. We use a technique known as "constructive criticism" in my classrooms. One day it will reach the web.

I never likened Lillet's "dissing [my] 'Running on Entry'" to Guantanamo. First, she never linked to it, she linked to my blog at the top level (an anchor or a link to the single-entry page would have worked better). My comment regarding Gitmo had to do with her utter failure to mention why she had bothered to link to my blog.

Finally, if people are, in order to entertain themselves, going to make links to people who take themselves too seriously, then maybe a little research is in order. Check a couple other entries, first.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger kender said...

I have stirred up the dust a bit with Lillet and Trey. I have them linked. I like reading some of their stuff. The first posts were freakin' hilarious. I had tears streaming down my face from them.

Anyway, I am not as "liberally educated" as Lil and Trey, and some of the things they allude to do get a bit more attention from me so I can understand them but this "totebag" thing is beyond me.

Perhaps it is a cutting edge NY pop culture thing. Perhaps it is their secret little joke. Perhaps though it is just baffling the hell out of me and I won't worry about it. I am probably a totebagger to them also. Oh well.

BTW, good luck with the game.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Scrivener said...

I'd say you should be impressed. It took me much longer to get attacked for the first time. Then again, there was no "Next Blog" button then to bring random people by.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Scrivener said...

Damn. Meant to say "proud" not "impressed."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home