Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Monday, February 28, 2005

Mah Baby Got an F

OK, that's not entirely fair. My game, I have been told, does not have marketability. Yeah, like I didn't think that was an issue from the start. Yes, it's a let-down, but it is no surprise. As great as it would have been to hear that Avalon Hill would be putting me into the 2006 rotation, the numbers were against me. Heavily.

Look at the marketplace. Count the number of games that have come out in the last 25 years that do not have one of the following: shouting, trivia, clay. Let's face it, this is a party game market, and things are years from changing here in the U.S. Now I need to look into smaller manufacturers or find someone who is willing to develop a computer version.

Does anyone who reads this do computer programming? Wait. Does anyone read this? OK, sitemeter says I have a couple who pop in every now and then, but not many. Oh well. Here I had dreams that one unit would sell before 2010. Just one unit. That's not too much to ask, is it? That one person in one game store somewhere in the world would try my game one time before putting it on one shelf where it could gather dust for the rest of its days?

There is hope, but it remains as a sliver. The dream, founded, as dreams tend to be, not on reality but on delusion, has passed. Maybe that's good. Maybe now I will get the lead out and market the hell out of this thing until some company decides to take a chance. Maybe I just need 20 prototypes to give away to friends and family. It's difficult to know, really.

2 Comments:

At 2:56 AM, Blogger Andrew Purvis said...

OK, I should have said that I am not living in a dream about it anymore. You see, the dream could only remain intact until I got a response regarding it.

Had these people, with a few decades of experience in the field, said it was the next chess, the dream would still be over. The simple fact is that someone has looked at it and responded. Now there is work to be done.

The end of the dream is not the end of ambition. I already know one game company that has produced games of this general style and that accepts outside submissions. I have two more in the pipeline, and one of those came during a less-than-lucid moment when I was less-than-awake last week.

No, no. The dream is merely the fantasy that can exist before action has been taken. If I am 70 and have to produce the thing myself, it will see daylight, though I suspect Germany is really my market. They love strategy board games over there, and they aren't shy about taking 90 minutes or more to play a game.

 
At 7:19 AM, Anonymous allysa said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Thanks!
relax holiday play

 

Post a Comment

<< Home