Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Zacarias Massaoui

Every week more than a couple people find their way here by searching for information about Zacarias Massaoui. It has been just over a year since my original post suggesting we use life in prison as the ultimate punishment. My logic was not the same as the jury's, but that's OK. The jury thought it was giving the lighter sentence, but paradise won't reach inside Massaoui's cell walls, and suicide just won't get him the glory he was promised.

I am pleased about the sentencing for a number of reasons. I don't support the death penalty, so I am always pleased to see another life sentence chosen over that less moral (my perspective) option of execution. I have read, too, enough about some of the drivel poured into the ears of the modern hashishins to understand that life in prison is cruelty on a stick wrapped in razor wired and inserted in, well, it's prison . . . you can work out the rest.

I am keeping my eyes out for the debate about what Massaoui deserved, what is wrong with life in prison, how many people would volunteer to shoot him on the government's behalf, blah, blah, blah. Sadly, many of the supporters of executing Massaoui will claim they want to do it in order to protect the American way of life. Hmmm, so the criminal court system that convicted Massaoui and sentenced him to life in prison would not qualify? Let the selective argumentation begin!

p.s. This post is here and not on Intentional Fallacy because it is a follow-up. Normally, these days, such matters as this would not surface on this site, but I shall not start addressing something of this magnitude in one place and end in another.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home