Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Monday, August 22, 2005

New Semester, Old Faces

I suppose some might object to the word "old," but I don't mean in terms of age. I had little hope this semester of seeing any of my English 20 students from the Spring in my English 52 classes. My hope was matchedby reality. Despite this, two students from earlier semesters are in my courses this semster, and because of production delays with the catalog, my name was printed (instead of the usual "Staff" listing we adjuncts know and hate). I suspect, then, that these students actually took these sections because I am teaching them. That is always satisfying.

And then there is tonight. A former student of mine droppped by. He's not taking any classes. Indeed, the courses I am teaching this semester are below the level of the one he already passed with me as his instructor. But he dropped by, and we walked out to the parking lot at a leisurely pace, chatting and catching up. I was pleased that he'd been enjoying doing a little stand-up at The Comedy Store and a few other venues (he took a course our college offers in stand-up comedy). What surprised me was his statement that he believes he was able to do well in the class in part because he had to write in mine. He had not, he said, tended to write things down before.

I always like to hear what my former students are up to. I rarely get spontaneous comments regarding the value of courses. This, as much as anything, is why I teach, though there is no way to ensure such results will follow.

3 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Blogger Echrai said...

That's wonderful! I loved teaching, but unfortunately, I never stayed in one place (let alone in teaching) long enough to see students more than a year later. It has to be rewarding to see what an impact you made on your students. Even more so on those who seek you out after the regular required time is complete. You should be proud.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Andrew Purvis said...

I'm fortunate that these (nearly) four years of being a freeway flyer have included unbroken time at one school. It helps to have continuity, to be able to shepherd a couple of students through a series of courses, and to watch them develop as writers and as students.

I can think of few other professions that afford that level of feedback.

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Matthew said...

Hey Guys. This writeup is marvelous!! Me and my homies totally love this this writer's words

Hotels cove
best cove

 

Post a Comment

<< Home