Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

C-Bart And Her Crew

If you read the two post before this one (yes, I know the publication dates and times are almost identical), you will understand more fully why I am writing this. Let me say, right up front, that I hope you will consider donating to the Red Cross, either money or blood.

It is easy to look at a 9/11 or a Katrina sort of situation and see that the Red Cross does wonderful work, but it is difficult to know, no matter how many shamelessly self-promoting Geraldo interviews air or how many different wind breakers Anderson Cooper wears, just what it really means to the people receiving the aid.

A warm bed, a hot meal, and light are three things we do not have at home right now, and as I write this almost eighty-four hours after we lost power, those are the three things the Red Cross has provided that I most treasure.

When we arrived, we were greeted with a smile and a, "Thank you for coming." It sounded strange at the time, but the volunteers—these are people who, if they work, either take time away from their jobs or volunteer during hours they would normally be relaxing at home—seem genuinely to love these opportunities to assist others. One, Carol, told us that Red Cross volunteers train and then wait all year for the opportunity to put that training to use.

On arriving, I was prepared to offer my assistance. They were, after all, feeding and housing me. They were, after all, letting me feel once more human. But then we got here, and I saw their badges and their coordination. I thought that they probably had it all covered.

After dinner, one volunteer approached me and asked if I might be willing to disinfect some surfaces and door handles; someone sick had been in the shelter, and it was better that the volunteers not risk too much exposure since they would be dealing with everyone in the shelter. I postponed my shower, but I didn't hesitate to agree. I have since helped assemble cots and assisted in unloading a delivery of lunch items.

We don't have the money to make a donation right now, but I have good, clean blood, and the Red Cross is getting some of that when this is over. I am planning to look into volunteer opportunities, too. I could certainly stand a night or twenty doing what these volunteers are doing, and I doubt it would measurably harm me. It doesn't take much to believe in what the Red Cross does.

I hope never again to be in this situation, but I will always remember what it means to a staffed, funded organization there for anyone who needs it. That makes all the difference.

1 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful story. Makes you appreciate volunteer organizations even more. Toner

 

Post a Comment

<< Home