Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Down The Road

I am pulling together a list of topics to address in longish weekly posts. Currently I am planning to cover the reasons I, and people with whom I have spoken about the profession, teach; tenure (expect a little background in this one); and my definition of learning. I would love to get suggestions for other education-related topics from others out there, so feel free to leave them in comments.

3 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would you have your own definition of learning?
In other words, how would your definition be better
than the one in a dictionary?

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger Andrew Purvis said...

It's a reasonable question, really. Allow me, as a preamble to my reply, to reproduce the Oxford American Dictionary's definition of learning:

the acquisition of knowledge or skills through experience, practice, or study, or by being taught

I find that to be sufficient for general use, but it lacks a certain level of precision. True, other dictionaries will hold other definitions, but they won't approach it from the perspective of an educator. More specifically, they won't reveal how educators apply specific techniques to facilitate learning. This last part is what I will address.

For more, you will just have to wait a couple of weeks.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger niko lebel said...

hey andrew wassuP?
how ya duin?
hit me bak wen u got some time
niko

 

Post a Comment

<< Home