Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Photomeme

In the age of Flickr and blogs, it seem that looking up people's pictures online as part of a photomeme is not the best use we can make of digital photography. Here, then, is my proposition:

The first two people who propose (G-rated) subjects will have set me my mission. The subjects should be general ("a building of some local importance" instead of "The Washington Monument," for instance), available to anyone, anywhere. I will go out and capture images to fit those two criteria and post those images here.

With that done, I will give to the first two people who post comments on the resulting images, their tasks. Each will receive one of the two I have done and one more of task of my choosing. Thus, if I am to capture images A and B, respondent 1 may get A and D, and respondent 2 may get B and C. They will each pass on my new one (A and B would be done) and one of their own to each of their first two respondents, and thus it will grow geometrically, with each person creating two new images. By linking back to the predecessor in each case, as is traditional in memes, we can create a thematic link (since one link is always inter-generational), and traverse the real geography of the blogosphere.

The limit is this: the images must be created expressly for the meme. All images already shot will be verbotten. Anybody like it? Anybody care to start me off?

4 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Andrew Purvis said...

Amy, you get to give me only one. Another commenter must give me my second assignment. Oh, now I am hoping I didn't put too many words down.

OK, let me say Amy selects her first one, and I find something that embodies, say, a passage from Shakespeare (I say this because I can get something on the order 30 by taking the easy way out at the Huntington Library's Shakespeare Garden, but I won't) and somebody else proposes I shoot a weed growing up from pavement.

I would shoot those two and get comments from two people willing to take the next iteration of the meme. I would give them each one of my assignments (literary phrase, weed in pavement) and one of my own selection. In this way, each would have two, one of which was one that I had done. Each would then, in turn, pass on the two he or she just did to each of two other people, for whom he or she would create one new assignment each.

It's binary growth of bloggers without binary growth in assignments, and it should make for an interesting visual narrative, provided people keep linking back.

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ethnic cuisine.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Andrew Purvis said...

Alright, then. It appears I am looking for subjects that I can use to meet each of these requirements (independently):

1) Capture a literary phrase, and
2) Ethnic cuisine

Somehow I suspected that these would even be the two women who would set me my task; the second to set me out on a journey she and I have discussed before. I think I know where to find the second of them (and within walking distance, as I just directed a Canadian there yesterday), though the decision regarding how to shoot it should be a significant challenge. The first, Amy's, comes in two stages—identify a passage and find the shot—but I do not have to perform the two parts in a given order.

This may take a couple days.

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheesh, I was going to suggest bridge players...:). Oh well, too late.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home