Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

A Cure For Cancer?

OK, so I already blogged about the value of yogurt in the fight against AIDS, but now SlashDot has an amazing little story on the cancer front. This is worth a look. It appears that math can cure cancer. By generating a growth model using fractal patterns, researches have been able to cure cancer in mice. Now they have tried it on one human, apparently with incredible results.

Now, I can't claim to understand this all, but if there is a kernel of value to this approach, we need to be building our resources for this kind of science. Cancer may well be just the beginning, after all. Could we use similar systems to understand how viruses multiply and thus stem their spread? Might this even be used for finding a social method for stabilizing the human population? OK, so that last one is a reach, but I have high hopes. I'll let the mathematicians save the world. We people in literature will record what that means to the world.

3 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger Andrew Purvis said...

Hey, I never took calculus. I just stopped caring about math when they told me it didn't matter that I could mathematically prove that combining steps was always going to yield the same result as doing every single one long hand.

Maybe that's why I smoke. Had I had my work accepted, I may not have started smoking years later in grad school, thus extending my life. Oh my!

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Chase Edwards Cooper said...

I feel a bit better knowing that there are other intelligent people out there who didn't succeed in the area of mathematics.

Unfortunately I can't help but feel that by taking all those political science, history, anthropology, and geography classes in college that I'll end up dying early when I get caught in a coup d'etat in some foreign country.

Now I'm craving yogurt.

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am pleased to announce that this didn't surprise me at all.

one of these days people will learn that the disciplines are not so tightly drawn and their borders so firmly set.

art is religion is mathematics is philosophy is biology is physics is logic is language is art, et cetera.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home