Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Fun Project, Anyone?

I have to do it, but there is no way I will accomplish it alone. I will need people to help out. A lot. What, you might ask, is the loon venting about now? Well, it's an idea I had some years ago but have never implemented (I'm good at that). It's called wherewereyouwhen.com.

Yeah, I know the name is kinda long and has lots of W's, but I like it this way. It has a good rhythm, and that helps in memory. Speaking of memory, the site would be dedicated to memories. Start with a timeline running, perhaps, back to 1910. Make each decade clickable so that it zooms in create a detail timeline (in my mind it is a color-coded navigation below the main timeline).

A user could navigate to any point in history (within the scope of the site) and select a time frame to see what events took place during that period. By zooming in on a given event, the user could learn a few simple facts (dates, times, major players, etc.) and then read user-submitted memories that, having received editorial approval, have been posted.

Consider this: If a person navigated to the 1980s and then selected 1986, one of the first events would be on January 28, the day of the Challenger explosion. I know where I was when I got the news, and many of my friends have similar recllections. By putting all of these together, we create an informal history of the lifetimes of our users. (Note how I am already including you as my colleagues in this project. Is it helping?)

Anyway, let me know if you might be interested in joining in on something like this. I need help in graphics and (I hope) editorial. If all goes well, it will have too much work for one person.

4 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

let's see...on january 28th, 1986, i was making a googly monster out of green playdoh (between bites of it) and, possibly, wetting my pants.

if the site includes dates well into the nineties and early 00's, though, the younger crowd might be an interesting demographic insofar as memories go.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Andrew Purvis said...

Xaos's aim is off. This comment missed the entry to which it responds. Then again, maybe she was avoiding the cheese. Hmmm. *strokes chin thoughtfully*

Oh well, cheese is for another, anyway.

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds interesting. If you really want to get to know people, this may do the job.
The more I thought about it the more interesting it got. On a side note, Andrew, you made me go look up how to configure browser colors to override web-page settings ;)

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Andrew Purvis said...

Dayum! OK, I am getting ripped for the colors from about every corner. Here's the deal, though: I won't change them again until Monday, at the earliest. I have a little writing to do today and tomorrow, and I will be out of town over the weekend on my anniversary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home