Caveat: Venter

Think about all of the things that make your brain itch. These are mine.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Star Wars Indeed!

It seems that the U.S. military is ready, should we decide to go with space-based arsenals. The U.S. Strategic Command, or USStratCom (gotta love the military's idea of an abbreviation) has some interesting little notes on its "Military Space Forces" fact sheet.

Apparently, part of USStratCom's mission is to "[assure] U.S. access to and freedom of operation in space, and [deny] enemies the same." I suppose that leaving that out of a national defense plan would be rather silly, but it doesn't have a very good ring to it, and I would hate to be the one charged with spinning that to the public, never mind foreign governments with whom we may be having a spat. Still, that's not the disturbing part.

Under the heading "Force Application," USStratCom claims that it is involved in "Researching and developing space-based capabilities that have the potential to engage adversaries from space." Ouch! Good thing it continues with the note, "Requires policy change before implementation." Yeah. I'd say I hate to spin that one, but I have a really bad feeling that I just quoted the spin doctor.

(My thanks to SiteMeter and the "Next Blog" button. I randomly landed on a blog entitled "Catholics for Senator Rick Santorum." Yes, you read that right. No, I didn't stick around. The fun part is that it posts the recent referrers right there on the page, and my blog was in the list. Someone from USStratCom followed the link back to my blog for as short as visit as mine at CfSRS, and that's how I found this info. Fun huh?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home